Thursday, September 30, 2010

BIG OWIE!


I keep meaning to post something new but have been a), too busy doing actual work or b), spending all my late nights scouring real blogs for info I can easily appropriate.  Only problem being, my brain's an increasingly soggy sponge and nothing seems to stick anymore.  Repercussions of a misspent youth, long ago.

Regardless, SfS is looking a wee bit slim in its premiere month and I got nothing new on the Ukrainian front except that not surprisingly, our ex-sniper's film career is going nowhere since his bit-part in 2009's "Oy Vey!  My Son is Gay!", starring Bruce Vilanch and produced by none other than Slava's wife, Sveltlana Anufrieva.  I read that it's really bad and that's enough proof for me. 

Meandering ahead, most of the Lakers' current buzz and commentary centers on Bynum's surgery and his lengthening rehab arc - like nobody saw that coming!  Rather than go into my own tedious facts and analysis, I'll use the increasingly popular links-madness trend which can easily pad out a page.  I'll leave you all to your reading while I go watch some TV.

Andrew Kamenetzky at ESPN's 'Land O' Lakers', writes about Andrew's need for a break after emotional  highs of the title run.
Brian Kamenetzky has a different view, questioning Bynum's willingness to give away a sizable chunk of the season.
Darious Soriano from Forum Blue & God, wonders how Bynum's absence might affect other players' playing time, both positively and negatively.
Kevin Ding at the O.C. Register, recounts the highs of Andrew's South African trip and ponders the cost of his surgery-delaying tactics.
Mark Medina from the LA. Times understands the criticsm but feels it's misguided.

Okay, everybody caught up on what they already knew?  I don't have much to add to the cacophony except that I question Ding’s contention that Laker’s staff were left in the dark about the extent of Bynum’s cartilage damage until hours before the start of camp. The medical and training staff is always in direct contact with a performing surgeon in the immediate aftermath of a procedure and if they somehow didn’t do their due diligence then shame on them.

Still there is the larger picture of Bynum’s health and on that I find myself somewhat torn.  On the one hand I can understand fans' frustrations - Bynum's injury cycle seems to spin ever faster and he often seems a bit glib about it.  On the other hand, I'm of the firm mind that without a gimpy 7-footer with flashes of brilliance, you're nothing in this league (see, I'm glib as well).

Ultimately, it comes down to numbers for me.  Around 90% of the true centers in this league miss significant chunks of playing time, more seasons than not.  Abnormally large bodies don't wear well, pounding up and down a hard wood court.  Given this reality and how ingrained it is into the talent pool, I think I'd rather hang onto a kid who can play a dominant low post game for around 65 games a year, than somebody of sound body and average talent, for the full season.

2 comments:

  1. The cashier at my local supermarket remarked the other day that perhaps Andrew should sit until the All-Star break. Hmmm. Interesting thought. Personally, I am forever hopeful that the young, 7-foot lad will actually play a whole season and reach his full potential. Visions of Andrew, Kobe and Pau each scoring 20 points a night dances in my head. By the way, has anyone heard anything about Kobe's fingers? I know he had knee surgery in the off season, but I've heard nothing about the various hand and finger injuries. I pray to God he had that stuff fixed. He could barely hold the ball toward the end of the playoffs.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Given that the hoards of SfS readers aren't stepping up to respond - Kobe elected not to get surgery. The avulsion fracture's tricky to begin with, doctors often recommend simple splinting (and REST of said digit)to allow the bone chip to re-adhere. Naturally, Kobe taped it up and kept playing which resulted in all sorts of additional stress and damage, compounding existing arthritis in the corresponding knuckle. He got some opinions over the summer and decided just to go with rest and rehab. He says the finger feels stronger now and he's going to try getting through the season without any kind of bandage or support.

    ReplyDelete